[The Star] Rep: Grand Saga has no right to barricade access street
~ By CHARLES FERNANDEZ and JADE CHAN
KAJANG: The Cheras-Kajang Expressway operator has no right to barricade the road into Bandar Mahkota Cheras because a survey has found that it is located on state land.
Selangor executive councillor Ronnie Liu said a Survey and Mapping Department report had shown that the land on which Grand Saga Sdn Bhd had earlier erected a barrier to stop residents from using a toll-free road was state land.
The report and a map have been forwarded to state legal officer Datuk Zauyah Lothy Khan.
“Even before the survey, the state government had ample proof that the road was on state land.
“And until today, the highway concessionaire has yet to show documents to stake its claims,” he said at a press conference at the site yesterday.
The residents of Bandar Mahkota Cheras have been engaged in a battle with Grand Saga since 2005 over the use of a road which allows them a shorter and toll-free route into their housing area.
Grand Saga had earlier built barricades across the road but residents had dismantled the barriers.
The battle turned ugly on Thursday night when police used tear gas and water cannons to disperse crowds of residents who were trying to dismantle the latest barricade.
Liu said Grand Saga should just let the matter rest if it could not dispute the state government’s claim over who controlled the land. It should also not stop the residents from using the toll-free access road.
Liu said he would discuss with the Public Works Department to see if another access road running parallel to the highway belonged to the state to avoid another land controversy.
Grand Saga has applied for an injunction against Bandar Mahkota Cheras Open Access Road Committee chairman Tan Boon Wah, Liu and the Kajang Municipal Council to stop them from entering the expressway area.
Tan confirmed that he was served with an ex-parte injunction on Friday night.
Segambut MP Lim Lip Eng, who claimed he was injured during Thursday night’s commotion, said he admitted himself into the emergency ward of Selayang Hospital on Friday afternoon as he was in pain.
Relating Thursday’s events, Lim said: “A plainclothes officer grabbed me from behind and some burning hot liquid was blasted into my face, which temporarily blinded me. I then felt punches and kicks all over,” he said.
He said his car was damaged – tyres punctured, wipers ripped off, surface scratched and a number plate broken.
The article above is taken from the Web portal of "The Star" newspaper.
Previous in This Category: [Star] Chronology of events pertaining to Bandar Mahkota Cheras toll-free access road issue Next in This Category: 【光华日报】 刘天球：皇冠城路口路段 隶属雪政府范围