[Malaysiakini] BMC assault victim charged with 'reckless driving'
~ By Andrew Ong
Mechanic Chang Jiun Haur, 23, who was brutally assaulted by riot police at the disputed Bandar Mahkota Cheras barricade last month, was charged today with reckless driving during the incident.
If found guilty, he could be facing a mandatory jail sentence of up to five years and face a fine between RM5,000 to RM15,000. His driving license can also be suspended for no less than two years.
Chang pleaded not guilty and posted a RM3,000 bail. The trial has been set for hearing on Aug 7.
Chang was among four individuals initially under investigation by the police for attempted murder during an incident on May 27 at the barricaded toll-free access road Bandar Mahkota Cheras.
According to police, the four were being probed for allegedly attempting to cause injuries to several police personnel stationed at the barricade while driving away from the scene.
During the incident, he was allegedly dragged out of his car and was repeatedly kicked and beaten by 20 riot squad (FRU) personnel armed with batons. [Watch 5-min video]
All four individuals in the car were subsequently arrested.
Chang is the only person to be charged in the incident. According to Gan, the police found no case against the three others - Cheok Kem Hoo, 21, Chan Siew Meng, 31, and Chang Jiun Mein, 21.
Gan said he had accompanied Chang to the Kajang district police headquarters today to assist investigations and was then told that the latter would be charged.
"The police insisted that my client was to be charged although we argued that the police investigations were flawed because statements from several important witnesses had yet to be recorded," he said.
According to Gan, the occupants of the vehicles behind and in front of Chang's vehicle at the material time had yet to have their statements recorded by the police.
"The occupants of the vehicle are willing to have their statements recorded. We offered that to the police and so that they hold on to charges," said Gan, who is also MCA Youth legal bureau chief.
The Bandar Mahkota Cheras barricade was the scene of several clashes between residents, riot police and purported hired-thugs over the barricade. Residents wanted the barricade removed and claimed that it is illegal.
Cheras-Kajang Highway concessionaire Grand Saga Sdn Bhd had erected the barricade to prevent Bandar Mahkota Cheras from bypassing one of their toll-booths.
However, the Works Ministry granted the residents a temporary reprieve by announcing that the barricade would be removed pending the outcome of a suit between Bandar Mahkota Cheras developer Narajaya Sdn Bhd and Grand Saga.
SPECIAL REPORT: The Grand Saga in Cheras
The above article is taken from Malaysiakini.
【当今大马】 皇冠城风波四男女没被控谋杀 惟曾俊豪遭控“鲁莽驾驶”罪名
Today's Visitors: 0 Total Visitors: 173